1. Section Intro
In this section, we’ll add full-text search with Algolia, Flutter, and Firebase to our eCommerce app.
When implementing full-text search, we need to consider a few things:
- how to implement a good UX
- how to add caching and debouncing (so that we don’t make too many API requests to the server)
- how to deal with realtime updates and pagination
What we will cover in this section
- Overview of all the Firebase extensions that we can use to implement full-text search
- How to create an Algolia app and configure a search index
- How to install and configure the Algolia extension so it can index the products data in Cloud Firestore
- Adding Algolia to our Flutter client app (API keys setup + basic search implementation)
- Optimizing our implementation and by adding caching, debouncing and realtime updates
By the end, we’ll have a robust and cost-effective full-text search implementation that is powered by Algolia.
As usual, we’ll use a modular architecture that could be adapted to use any kind of server-side search API (other than Algolia).